Limestone on household appliances is one of the little annoyances of everyday life, but can be a real headache to remove! But there is no question of getting rid of tartar with corrosive detergents, harmful to the environment and health.
Several natural, ecological and inexpensive alternatives exist. Why deprive yourself of it?
Limestone – did you know?
The presence of limescale on the fittings leads to a drop in water pressure at the outlet, and can also cause leaks, causing waste and overconsumption of water (up to 10%).
- Limestone is responsible for 80% of failures on household appliances.
- Between 40 and 50 euros per month are spent by households to fight against lime damage: purchase of descaling products for the coffee maker or iron, salt for the dishwashing machine.
- Limestone = less effective detergents . The doses recommended in the instructions for use of detergents are valid for medium hard water, around 15 ° FH (French degrees), and must be increased if harder water is used.
- Limestone (tartar) = plumbing in danger: the tart of limestone water clogs the pipes and damages your devices (resistances, household appliances, kettles.
- Limestone = more energy: The limescale which accumulates results in greater energy consumption: 1 mm of scale on a resistance corresponds to an overconsumption of electricity of the order of 10% (6 mm = 35% overconsumption)
I use white vinegar to descale. Indeed, the latter, 100% biodegradable and safe for the environment, dissolves tartar and lime. Our grandmothers were already using it.
Faucets, kettle, washing machine, coffee maker, nothing can resist it. White vinegar contains no allergenic or toxic chemicals. And, icing on the cake, it costs three times nothing: around 50 cents per liter. In short, white vinegar is safe, economical and poses no risk to the environment.
Products to know
In addition to white vinegar and its amazing quality properties, there are other equally ecological products for descaling appliances that need it:
- The anti-lime ring: this prevents lime from depositing in your toilet but also in your coffee maker. The anti-scale ring is an annular ferrite magnet which gives off a magnetic field that crystallizes the particles of limestone. Once transformed into crystals, it no longer adheres to the walls of the devices and is deposited in the form of powder at the bottom of the tank.
- The anti-limestone disc : an anti-scale magnetic disk for the dishwasher . A little on the same principle as the anti-scale ring, the anti-scale disc releases a magnetic field which transforms the scale into non-adherent particles, thus avoiding the development of scale.
- The anti-lime ball : designed for the dishwasher and the washing machine, this ball eliminates lime naturally without using conventional detergents. Composed of a magnet, the anti-scale ball generates magnetic fields during the rotation of the drum. These temporarily modify the structure of the limestone crystals dissolved in the water, thus reducing their ability to deposit.