Essential to life for humans, animals and plants, water is sometimes polluted or contaminated by pathogens or impurities that could potentially cause disease. When access to a drinking source is not guaranteed, there are natural solutions to purify water. A quick overview of the means available.
If we are fortunate to be able to have drinking water directly at the tap, on vacation or abroad, this is not always the case. So, what are the tips for having purer water ? consoGlobe.com takes stock of the ways to purify water.
Purifying water: the devices available and the means available
There are different ways to filter and purify water, to make it drinkable or palatable. Small review.
1 – The different water purifiers
If running water goes through a filtration and purification process before it leaves the tap, traces may remain.
For those who want the purest water possible from the tap, you can install a water purifier upstream, for example under the sink. These systems can use phosphates, an ionization system, activated carbon, sand filters, chlorine etc.
Filter carafe, the easy solution
If you are worried about consuming only tap water, and you are fed up with buying bottles of water and still want fresh water on hand then the carafe is the easiest solution .
You just have to run the water in the carafe and the filter takes care of purifying the water from chlorine, scale, traces of metals etc. This solution is also very practical for preserving household appliances from calculus such as the kettle.
Pros : easy solution, more economical than bottled water, removes bad taste
Less : request frequent use, filters to change every 100 liters and return or return to the store for recycling
Filters on tap, easy and fast
Less expensive than the filters to install upstream of the tap, those to install on taps!
Simple to set up, they can contain a cartridge to be changed quarterly. They retain little lime, but magnesium and calcium are good for our body!
Pros : very easy to use, inexpensive, more economical than bottled water, removes bad taste
Cons : cartridge to change regularly and recycle, does not filter lime
The softener filters the raw tap water in order to adjust the concentration of lime in the water, which then becomes less hard. using softened water can extend the life of equipment and piping.
There are two types of water softeners :
- resin softeners, which is the most common
- C0 2 softeners , which require no maintenance, regeneration or salt
Mechanical devices for travel or hike?
- The purifiers portable water , equipped with a filter, allow you to purify water pumped directly into a river, for example.
- The chemical purifiers , pellet or liquid spilled into the world of hiking and for good reason: their small size is useful when you share only with a bag! This system is also inexpensive and allows the water to be purified from various contaminants. Very practical, it nevertheless gives a certain chlorinated taste to water and is to be used occasionally.
- The portable filters . Membranes, cartridges … Portable filters allow water to be filtered by removing particles. The smaller the pores of the filter, the more elements it retains but the longer the process. Relatively efficient and fast , portable filters however require real maintenance, not easy when hiking.
These water filtration systems do not use chemicals or electricity, and work thanks to the principle of reverse osmosis: the water first passes through a micro-retention system (0.5 microns) or ” sediment filter “which retains any particles (bacteria, micro-pollutant, toxins, etc.), then it passes through an activated carbon or” molecular capture ” filter, which eliminates organic matter, pesticides, herbicides which can give a smell or taste to water. Finally, the water ends up in an electrostatic removal system in the form of a very thin membrane which acts on the electromagnetic surface of the water, eliminating viruses, heavy metals, hydrocarbons, etc.
Pros : very effective, durable
Cons : Expensive, difficult to install without plumbing skills, removes all minerals from the water, consumes a lot of water (4 liters are rejected for 1 liter of water to consume)